Another recap post. This time on my workbench was Luxman T-88V tuner. It is a simple one board tuner that together with 4 tantalum caps contains little over 20 capacitors that needs to be replaced. The whole recap took me about 2.5 hours.
Here is a picture of the board before:
And here is one after:
I have used Nichicon UPW and UFW capacitors.
There are few capacitors that are not pictured here:
1. one big capacitor in its own bracket
2. one capacitor under the PCB
3. one capacitor connected to one of the meter
4. one capacitor by the two push buttons on the front panel
I just made one mistake by ordering wrong capacitor. I got non-polar capacitor which was four times the size and wrong type. There was also one capacitor that I have forgot to note polarity for before pulling it off the board. Of course this was the only one that did not have the polarization marked on the PCB. In this case, photos of the board before recap came to the rescue. In the photo below you can clearly see the negative side of the capacitor.
The tuner works fine after recap. If I decide to keep it, I may send it out for adjustments. I have also replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED strip. I only had 2 out of the 9 bulbs working so I couldn’t really take before and after pictures. Here is a picture of the old bulbs:
Here is a picture after the conversion:
The difference in color between the Marantz and Luxman is noticeable because Marantz LEDs shine thru vellum paper (lights are behind the dial scale) and Luxman’s LEDs shine from the top thru a narrow plastic diffuser strip. Still Luxman look better in real life than here on the picture.